Heddon on the Wall
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Outline view of St Andrew's church at Heddon on the Wall in Northumberland. It was built on the site of an ancient hilltop church, around AD680. Amazingly well preserved, its choir has pre-Conquest doorheads, and its sanctuary, vaulted ceiling with roundheaded window, and nave all date from the Norman era.
It has a single bell in its tower, which was recast in 1704, and 26 stained-glass windows from the 19th century, depicting the lives of saints and local holymen. The earliest headstones in the churchyard date from around 1700. Registers from 1656 are held at the County Record Office.