Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
North view of Hinton Charterhouse, one of the first Carthusian monasteries in England. It was founded in the 1232 by the Countess of Salisbury. The monastery was dissolved along with other religious houses in the 16th century. In this picture the monastic buildings are still standing, including the Chapel. The refectory undercroft, the chapter house with library above and parts of the guest house survive today.
The Dissolution of the Monasteries took place between 1536 and 1540 when King Henry VIII confiscated the property of the Catholic institutions so as to establish himself as the new head of the Church in England.