Hinton Priory, chapel f.44
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A view of the north side of the chapel of Hinton Priory in Somerset. Hinton Charterhouse was one of the first Carthusian monasteries in England. It was founded in 1232 by the Countess of Salisbury. The monastery was dissolved along with other religious houses in the 16th century. In the late 18th century, when Grimm visited here, many of the monastic buildings were still standing. The refectory undercroft, the chapter house with library above and parts of the guest house survive today.
The Dissolution of the Monasteries took place between 1536 and 1540 when King Henry VIII confiscated the property of the Catholic institutions so as to establish himself as the new head of the Church of England.