Hinton Charterhouse, church font
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This circular stone font, found in Hinton parish church (at Hinton Charterhouse) in Somerset, is plain except for a double zig-zag border around the rim and there is no lid. Hinton Charterhouse was one of the first Carthusian monasteries in England. It was founded in 1232 by the Countess of Salisbury. The monastery was dissolved along with other religious houses in the 16th century. In the late 18th century, when Grimm visited here, many of the monastic buildings were still standing.
The Dissolution of the Monasteries took place between 1536 and 1540 when King Henry VIII confiscated the property of the Catholic institutions so as to establish himself as the new head of the Church of England.