Haddon Hall, Derbyshire f.15
Haddon Hall sits hugging the banks above the River Wye in the Derbyshire Peak District. Built in the 12th century for the Vernon family, it originally consisted of no more than a fortified tower surrounded by a defensive wall. As the Vernon fortune increased in size, so too did the house and it was substantially enlarged by the end of the 14th century.
In 1703, the Rutland family, who had held the estate since 1567, moved to Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire and the Hall gradually fell into elegant decline. During the 1920s, the ninth Duke of Rutland extensively modernised the house and grounds, returning it to its former glory.
Nikolaus Pevsner described the Hall as, "The English castle par excellence, not the forbidding fortress on an unassailable crag, but the large, rambling, safe, grey, loveable house of knights and their ladies, the unreasonable dream-castle of those who think of the Middle Ages as a time of chivalry and valour and noble feelings. None other in England is so complete and convincing."