Haddon Hall, Derbyshire f.16
Haddon Hall stands on land originally granted to William Peveril by his father, William the Conqueror. In 1170, it passed to the Vernon family who then started to erect their family seat. The house gradually evolved over the centuries and consists of a 12th-century chapel, magnificent Elizabethan apartments and world-renowned gardens.
By the beginning of the 18th century, the estate was abandoned by the then owner, the Duke of Rutland. The family returned just over two centuries later and restored the house to its original opulence.
Nikolaus Pevsner described the Hall as, "The English castle par excellence, not the forbidding fortress on an unassailable crag, but the large, rambling, safe, grey, loveable house of knights and their ladies, the unreasonable dream-castle of those who think of the Middle Ages as a time of chivalry and valour and noble feelings. None other in England is so complete and convincing."