Haddon Hall, Derbyshire f.17
The Vernon family acquired the land around Haddon Hall in 1170 from the descendants of William Peveril, illegitimate son of William the Conqueror. The house originally consisted of a tower surrounded by a high defensive wall, but over the centuries it evolved into the architectural glory it is today. The most striking features of the house date from Elizabethan times, when the Vernon wealth was at its height due to the family's control of the local lead-mining industries.
In 1558, Dorothy Vernon eloped with Sir John Manners, a match not welcomed by Sir George Vernon who was known locally as "King of the Peak" due to his lavish hospitality at the hall. After his death in 1567, the estate passed to his son-in-law and thus it became the seat of the Dukes of Rutland.