Haddon Hall, Derbyshire f.21
William the Conqueror granted the land around Haddon to his illegitimate son, William Peveril. It then passed to the Vernon family in 1170 who set about building their family seat on this beautiful spot beside the River Wye. Increasing family wealth during the 14th and 15th centuries, acquired through the control of the local leadmines, allowed for the expansion of the house. The present facade dates mainly from these times, but internal work continued until the end of the 17th century when also the gardens underwent formal landscaping.
In 1703, the Duke of Rutland, whose family had acquired the estate through marriage in 1567, vacated Haddon for Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire. Two centuries elapsed before the ninth Duke of Rutland moved back to Haddon and modernised the house and grounds.