Haddon Hall, Derbyshire f.23
Haddon Hall was the home of the Vernon family from 1170 to 1567. Over that time, the house evolved from a simple defensive tower to the vast Elizabethan stately home seen here. The family amassed their wealth from ownership of the local leadmines. As their purses grew, so too did the house and the facade dates mainly from the 14th and 15th centuries.
In 1567, the Hall passed to the Dukes of Rutland who inherited the house through marriage. During this century, the estate was greatly embellished by the addition of formally landscaped gardens and Haddon soon became associated with grand living and lavish entertaining. By 1703 however, the house required extensive and costly modernisation. The then Duke of Rutland, realising he could not afford to finance such a project, moved his family to Leicestershire. The house stood vacant for two centuries and was finally faithfully restored in the 1920s.