Interior of the Chapel: Godstow Abbey
Artist: Charles Alban Buckler
View of the ruined interior of Godstow Abbey near Wolvercote in Oxfordshire. This was founded as a Benedictine nunnery in c.1133. After its dissolution in 1539 it was sold the King's physician George Owen, who converted the some of the buildings into Godstow House, which was lived until 1645. It was severely damaged in the Civil War and afterwards left as a ruin. As time passed the complex was demolished to provide the stone for new buildings. The church in particular was demolished by 1660, apart from its tower which fell in the late 18th century. It is difficult to identify this chapel - it is known there was a chapel dedicated to St Thomas for the use of abbey servants. Or it may be a domestic chapel for visitors to the abbey.