In The Borough Road, Southwark, c.1820
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing depicts a playground scene at Borough Road in Southwark.
The term "Southwark" is known to originate from Anglo Saxon and is believed to mean "southern defence work". The area has endured a long and eventful history. Borough Market has existed in the locality for over 2,000 years and Southwark Cathedral, found near London Bridge, is one of the oldest gothic churches in the capital. There were many pubs and inns here during the medieval period and the area became notorious for its brothels that were regularly visited by clients from the city. In later years Southwark became the centre for much industry, particularly regarding leather goods such as saddles, gloves, hats and shoes.