Ingestre House, Staffordshire
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing is of the imposing exterior of Ingestre Hall in Staffordshire.
Ingestre Hall is one of England's finest Jacobean residencies. It was built in 1613 by Sir William Chetwynd and remained largely unaltered until the 18th century, when the influential architect John Nash was employed to make a number of additions. The house displays notable architectural features, such as ornamental brick stacks and stone mullioned windows, the latter of which crowd the magnificent facade. The grounds that surround the house were redesigned in the 18th century by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown.