Jarrow Church, south side
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The Church of St Paul, fomerly belonging to the monastery founded by Benedict Biscop in 681, was constructed in 684. Over the centuries the pre-Norman structure underwent many additions and renovations. Around the time Grimm was making his sketches of St Peter's, the nave was in such desperate need of rebuilding that William Hutchinson (writer and antiquarian), noted in 1787 that, "the congregation had deserted the nave for some years, perhaps from dread of being buried in its ruins"! The nave was further rebuilt in 1866.