Jarrow Church, font
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The Church of St Paul was built in 684 as part of the monastery established by Bishop Biscop three years earlier. No remains of the monastery appear above ground but this church at Jarrow still stands, albeit with many additions and renovations made over its 1300 year history.