Kepier Hospital, gateway
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Kepier Hospital lies low beside the River Wear, a little to the north of Durham city. The hospital was originally founded in 1112 alongside the Church of St Giles in the city. Bishop Puiset moved the hospital to its present site in 1153. Kepier housed a community of thirteen brethren, dedicated to the relief of the poor.
Unlike the hospitals at Greatham and Sherburn, Kepier was lost as an institution in the religious storms of the 16th century. Nonetheless, the 14th-century gatehouse range still survives much as Grimm drew it, except that its timber framing has been encased by stone walling.