Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus Grimm
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A north outline view in ink of St Wilfrid's church in Kibworth, Leicestershire. The church dates from the 13th century and has two 14th-century porches and entrances, facing north towards the hamlet of Harcourt and south towards Beauchamp, respectively. Many windows contain stained-glass pictures of biblical stories. St Wilfrid (634-709) is primarily remembered as the leading bishop who persuaded the Great Synod of Whitby to forge greater links with Rome and the papal authority from the late 7th century, rather than continue the Celtic tradition of Christianity. A stone statue the saint appears over the south porch door with a stained glass window, and appears alongside a statue of Walter de Merton - who was the founder of Merton College, Oxford, as well as sometime bishop of Rochester and Chancellor of England. The Warden and Fellows of Merton College had bought the deeds to St Wilfrid's in 1771, shortly before Grimm made this sketch.