King's College, Cambridge, c.1849
The Chapel was built between 1446 and 1515 and is a magnificent example of a late medieval Royal Chapel, in the Gothic Perpendicular Style. It can be compared to other chapels built in the same period at Westminster Palace, Eton College and Windsor. They all have tall narrow proportions and a front with soaring turrets. Unlike other Cambridge Chapels, it was not built as part of a courtyard range but stands apart from the other college buildings. It is 94 foot high. The window in the east end has nine lights and conventional Gothic Perpendicular tracery. The pinnacles, turrets and decorative roses, portcullises, fleur-de-lys and heraldic beasts show a more decorative style adopted after 1508. Henry VI originally intended a more restrained decoration.