Lanchester, Roman station f.23
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The Roman fort of Longovicium was constructed around 122 AD to guard the important military route known as Dere Street. At the time of Grimm's visit, the walls, some of them nine feet thick, were plainly visible but already deteriorating.
Though somewhat reduced, the earthworks are still highly impressive. The fort could be one of the greatest potential archaeological sites in Durham since the ground, owned by a local family since the 17th century, is undeveloped. Despite geomagnetic surveys suggesting substantial remains of its buildings, the fort has seen only limited excavation in 1937.