Lanchester, Roman station f.24
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The Romans built this hillfort in 140 AD. It covered an area of six acres and accommodated up to 1000 men. The troops were not necessarily Romans but came from many parts of the Roman Empire. Records from the time refer to units from Lingones (Spain), and Suebi (Germany).
Very little remains of the fort above ground. The fort was gradually dismantled once it was abondoned and the stone used for local building projects. Much of the history of the fort has therefore been lost, but some inscribed stones, sculptures and coins have been salvaged.