Lumley Castle, tower f.33
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Lumley Castle is an impressive building set around a quadrangular courtyard and with imposing towers on all four corners. Sir Ralph Lumley founded his castle on ancestral land in 1389. In 1402 Sir Ralph and his son were executed for their role in Royal conspiracies. The Crown confiscated the castle and transferred it to the Earl of Somerset. When he died hierless the castle reverted back to the Lumley line in keeping with the law of the time.
In the 1720s, Sir John Vanbrugh, the great architect of Blenheim Palace, remodelled much of the castle. He reorientated the grand entrance so it looked towards Chester-le-Street instead of the valley.