Lincoln, St Peter at Gowts
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A south-west view in ink of the church of St Peter's in the Gotes (St Peter at Gowts) in Lincoln, with an old building adjoining. According to Grimm, this building was "pretended by some to have been the stables of John of Gaunt, by some a religious house, and by others the old Town Hall and a prison: that Lord Hussey was beheaded under the south window for having joined the holy pilgrimage in the time of Henry VII [actually Henry VIII, in 1536]".
The church takes its unusual name from its location in the Lincoln lowlands, between the river Witham and the drain at Sincil Bank. The word 'gowt' means drain or ditch.