Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
This graceful three-arched stone bridge over the River Conwy was reputedly built by Inigo Jones in 1636. It played a crucial role in the defence of north Wales in the English Civil War (1642-1649). Royalist troops blew up the western arch in a bid to halt enemy Parliamentarian forces on their way to capture Conwy Castle.
It remained the only crossing point between the counties of Caenarvonshire and Denbighshire until Thomas Telford built the iron Waterloo Bridge at Betws-y-Coed in 1815. Telford later went on to build the world's first iron suspension bridge across the Menai Straits, between Bangor & the island of Anglesey, which was completed in 1826.