Monument of the Cavendish family at Bolsover
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Sir Charles Cavendish and his family took over Bolsover Castle in 1608. Five years later he began an extensive programme of rebuilding the castle, to which his sons added extensions of their own.
During the Civil War (1642-1646) William Cavendish was defeated with his Royalist troops at Marston and was driven into exile. In 1660, after the reformation of the monarchy, Sir William returned to Bolsover and set about repairing the damage inflicted by the enemy on his home. After his death in 1676, his heirs and successors left the castle to take up residence at Welbeck Abbey in Nottinghamshire.