Monument in Corfe Church
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This 13th-century church, standing opposite Corfe Castle, is dedicated to King Edward who was killed in the castle on the orders of his step-mother. The congregation was made up not only of the town's inhabitants, but also of the many artisans and workers who maintained the daily running of the castle.
During the English Civil War (1642-1646), Parliamentarians took over the church and stripped the roof of its lead to replenish their shot supplies. In 1859, after two centuries of structural decline, the building underwent extensive renovation, leaving only the tower remaining from the original aedifice.