Mount Edgecumbe, Devon, 1821 f.121
Medium: Pencil on paper
Sir Richard Edgcumbe began construction of the house in 1547. When the great diarist Samuel Pepys visited in 1683, he proclaimed the red stone Tudor house to be "the most beautiful place as ever was seen". The estate stands on a peninsular overlooking the River Tamar and Plymouth Sound, a natural harbour. During the 18th century the grounds were extensively landscaped, creating one of the finest formal gardens in the country.
The house was completely restored between 1958-1964 after it was bombed in the Second World War during the Blitz. Many of the fine art and furnishings, some 400 years old, were lost in the resulting fire.