Middleton Towers, Norfolk
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing depicts the gatehouse to Middleton Towers.
The fine, three-stroreyed brick gatehouse was built for Lord Thomas Scales in 1460. It is rectangular in plan and possesses tall, polygonal corner turrets that project above the top of the building. The south face of the gatehouse is notable for its elaborate oriel windows, two of which remain above the 15th century entrance arch. The interior is more recent, containing a Victorian hammerbeam roof and 18th century staircase. A large, four-storeyed block was added to the gatehouse at the end of the 19th century.