Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil on paper
Drawing of Maxstoke Castle in Warwickshire. This view shows its quadrangular layout with polygonal corner towers, gatehouse and moat. It was held by William de Clinton, the Earl of Huntingdon and Constable of Dover, in the reign of Edward III. It is of interest because it is one of the first examples of a fortified houses of this kind. The license to fortify was granted in c.1345.