Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Founded by Henry II as an Augustinian priory in 1170, Newstead Abbey served its communities of monks and canons for nearly four hundred years. In 1539, when Henry VIII broke from the ecclesiastical powers in Rome to create his own Church of England, he ordered the closure of all monastic establishments. The estate was then transferred to a local ancient family, the Byrons, for the sum of £810. The great Romantic poet, Lord Byron (1788-1824), inherited the family seat at the age of ten.