Newstead Abbey, Park f.98
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Founded by Henry II as an Augustinian priory in 1170, Newstead Abbey served its communities of monks and canons for nearly four hundred years. In 1539, after the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the estate was sold to a local ancient family, the Byrons, for the sum of £810. In 1749 the fifth Lord Byron (alias the "wicked Lord"), reshaped much of the estate and built two Gothic-style folly castles and the tower seen here.
The great Romantic poet, Lord Byron (the sixth Lord Byron; 1788-1824), inherited the family seat at the age of ten after the death of his great-uncle.