Near Ladywell, Kent
Ladywell takes its name from a holy well dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The well and the district are both mentioned on a map of 1592. Apart from Lewisham High Street, which contained the vicarage of Lewisham, Ladywell had few dwellings. This began to change when the Croydon Canal Railway was built through the area in 1857. Ladywell Park was opened to the public in 1889: this may be the "30 acres of meadow" mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086.