North Reach of the Moat, Landwade May 17th 1848 f11
View of the north reach of the moat of Landwade Hall on the Cambridgeshire/ Suffolk border. The first hall was built in the late 13th century and may have been moated quite early on. The moat was fed by the New River, which comes from Exning, through the estate, and eventually meets up with the River Cam. The manor house was rebuilt in the early 16th century, still within the moated site. It represented the centre of the estate and just outside of the moat were some important manorial buildings: the church, the lord's barn, and the mill. However when John Chessel Buckler was employed to redesign the house in c. 1848, it was decided to abandon the moated site and build to the south west of the moat.