Naworth Castle, Cumbria, 1811
Artist: Buckler, John
This watercolour depicts the imposing site of Naworth seen from the drive up to the gatehouse. The castle was the mediaeval home to the powerful Dacre and Howard families. Although the majority of the building was constructed in the 14th Century, there are records of a 12th century fort on the site. The house was virtually destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1844 and consequently required the architect Anthony Salvin to restore it to its former glory. The Howards entertained many notable visitors here during the 19th century, including the Pre-Raphaelite painters and Lord Tennyson. The present view of the castle has changed little since this picture was made, despite the fire which was to occur thirty years later. Only the small gatehouse building to the left has disappeared.