One of the Chapels in the monastery of Oransey Augt. 8. 1772
Artist: Miller, James
"One of the Chapels in the monastery of Oransay", drawn by James Miller in 1775, from a sketch taken on August 8th 1772. Oronsay is a small Hebridian Island just south of Colonsay. Its abbey was built in the 14th century by John Macdonald, Lord of the Isles, but there was first a priory here in the 7th century when St Columba stayed here. In this view the chapel is filled with rubble. There are some tartan clad men near the doorway, examining some skulls.