Parlour Interior, Bolsover Castle
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Bolsover Castle was built by the Peveril family in the 11th century. In 1612 it was bought by Sir Charles Cavendish who transfromed it into a luxurious family home. His son William inhertited the castle in 1616 and he further enhanced the splendour of the estate by adding extensive stables and landscaping the fine gardens. The interiors were elaborately decorated, with painted walls and ceilings and ornate marble fireplaces, presenting the finest style of the time.