Portland Castle, Isle of Portland
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
This castle, built in 1540, overlooked Portland roads, an important anchorage point in Dorset. Many such forts were built by King Henry VIII along this southern stretch of coastline to repel invasion by the French and Spanish after Henry's break from the Catholic Church. In the early 19th century the castle was converted into a private house, but was restored to its original function during the Second World War.