Prior Crauden's Chapel, Ely
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
Crauden was prior of Ely Monastery from 1321 to1341. Alan of Walsingham built
his chapel between 1321 and 1325, a beautiful example of ecclesiastical Decorated style. The interior shows elaborate carving throughout, similar in design to the Lady Chapel, also built by Walsingham, in the cathedral itself. The chapel once contained some of the finest medieval stained-glass but it has now all been lost.
Etheldreda, Queen of Northumbria, founded a monastery at Ely in 673 and Abbott Simeon began construction of the cathedral in 1081 and it was completed in 1189. Ely has the largest collection of medieval domestic buildings still in use in England.