Powis Castle, south-west garden view
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
Powis Castle has a history stretching back 800 years. Positioned just outside Welshpool and close to England, it was for many centuries a military stronghold for the princes of Powys in their battles against the English and other Welsh clans.
In 1578 the castle fell to the Herbert family and Sir Edward embarked on an extensive programme of modernisation. However, much of his work was destroyed when Parliamentarian forces captured the castle during the Civil War (1642-1646).
Further rebuilding was carried out in the 18th century, particularly the landscaping of the grounds and the formations of the terraces seen here. By Buckler's time, the gardens of Powis were known throughout Europe for their beauty and visited by tourists much as they are today.