Parts of Thames Street, London, 1832
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
These sketches depict details from two churches found near London Bridge; St Magnus the Martyr and St Saviours.
Both churches are spectacular. St Magnus is dedicated to Magnus, Earl of Orkney, an influential Christian who was murdered in 1116. A church has stood at the Lower Thames Street site for over 1,000 years. The present building, which supports an impressive 185 ft tower, was designed and built by Sir Christopher Wren in 1676. The church's interior was described by T.S. Eliot in his poem "The Waste Land" as being an "inexplicable splendour of Ionian white and gold..". Over the river in Southwark stands St. Saviours, a grand church that is distinguished by its square, pinnacled tower. In its grounds lie the poets, playwrights and dramatists that worked in the bankside theatres, such as Philip Massinger, John Fletcher and Edmund Shakespeare.