Part Of The Old Windows In Westminster Hall, 1834
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing was made after the disastrous fire that consumed the majority of the Palace at Westminster in 1834. St. Stephen's chapel cloisters, Westminster Hall and the Jewel Tower remained largely intact.
Westminster Hall formed part of the Palace founded before the Norman Conquest, and was used as a royal residence until the reign of Henry VIII. Many well known trials such as those of Sir Thomas Moore and Guy Fawkes took place here. The fire of 1834 brought about the construction of the magnificent neo gothic palace, designed by Sir Charles Barry and Augustus Welby Pugin. William Smith, known as "the father of geology", advised the architects on the choice of stone for the building.