Part Of Piccadilly Circus, London, c.1828
Artist: Scharf, George senior
Medium: Pencil on paper
This drawing depicts buildings on Piccadilly Circus. The circus and surrounding streets formed part of John Nash's town planning that took place at the beginning of the 19th century.
The wide thoroughfare of Piccadilly, which runs from Haymarket and Regent Street westward to Hyde Park, is as grand as a Parisian boulevard. The circus was formed in 1819 by the intersection of Regent Street, Shaftesbury Avenue and the Haymarket. The unusual title "Piccadilly" originates from "Piccadill", a type of stiff collar fashionable in the 17th century. Although the famous statue at the centre of the circus is known as "Eros", it is not actually the Greek God of Love but rather the Christian angel of Charity. Piccadilly remains one of the capital's major attractions, possessing the smartest shopping arcades and luxury hotels.