Pitchford Hall, Shropshire
Artist: Blore, Edward
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
This lively pencil drawing is of the magnificent exterior to Pitchford Hall in Shropshire.
Built by William Ottley between 1560 and 1570, Pitchford Hall remains an outstanding example of Elizabethan architecture. The half-timbered exterior is richly patterned and is surmounted with tall brick chimneys and numerous, fine gables. The interior is most notable for the Tudor hall, which is one of the finest in the country. Pitchford was home to Sir Francis Ottley, Sheriff of Shropshire, during the Civil War. It was here that Prince Rupert, nephew of Charles 1st, avoided Cromwell's army by hiding within the premises.