Rufus Castle and The Old Church, Isle of Portland f.177
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The Isle of Portland has three castles. Rufus Castle, also known as Bow and Arrow Castle, is the oldest. It was possibly built by King William Rufus in 1148, replacing earlier defences on the site. Constructed from local Portland stone it is the oldest stone aedifice on the island. In some places the walls measure seven feet thick.
The castle, with its commanding view over the channel and the Dorset coast, offered a vital strategic defence against the many French raids during the 13th-15th centuries.
Not much is known about the ruined church in the view. Locals call it "The Vicar's House".