Ratcliffe On Soar, Church
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
A south-east view in ink of the Church of the Holy Trinity at Ratcliffe-upon-Soar.
The Domesday Book records that in 1086 "there was a priest, a church and a mill at Radclive". In the early 13th century, control over this benefice was left to Norton Priory in Cheshire. The stone church dates from the 13th century. According to White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853 "Ratcliffe-upon-Soar is a small village and parish, near the junction of the Soar and the Trent navigation, 9 miles south west of Nottingham…"
The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient building with nave, side aisles and tower. In the chancel are several monuments of the Sacheverell family".