Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink on paper
Rufford Abbey was founded in the 12th century as a Cistercian monastery. When Henry VIII brought about the dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530s the building and the land was granted to George Talbot, the fourth Earl of Shrewsbury. He then set about transforming the abbey and grounds into a country estate.
In 1626 the abbey passed to the Saville family, the Earls of Scarborough, who kept it as their family seat until the 1930s