Ripley, Ingleby monument f. 70
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Drawing of a tomb monument dedicated to the Ingelby family. Nearby Ripley Castle was the seat of the Ingelby family, the principal landowners in the parish. All Saints' Church was founded by Sir Thomas Ingelby, who was Justice of the Common Pleas in the reign of Edward III. He moved to Ripley to marry local heiress Edeline Thweng.
These effigies are of Sir Thomas (who died in c.1369) and his wife. The two figures are recumbent on a finely decorated tomb chest, which was originally placed in the old parish church but was moved here after it began to subside into the river.