Medium: Pencil on paper
Ramsgate harbour was originally built as a port of refuge for vessels sheltering from stormy weather. In 1821, it was given title of Royal Harbour by George IV, after the people of Ramsgate had give the king a tumultuous reception there.
The harbour has played important roles throughout its history. It was one of the main embarkation harbours during the Napoleonic wars, and for this reason Ramsgate's main thoroughfare became known as Military Road. In 1940, it was the disembarkation point of many thousands of soldiers escaping from the beaches of Dunkirk. One of the boats used in the evacuation is kept in the marina today.