South Porch, Hinton Parish Church
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The church dates from the late 13th century and lies beside the moat of the castle at Hinton. The town made up part of the estate known as the Honour of St Valory, founded by cousins of William the Conqueror. King Henry V (1387-1422) worshipped here and ancient glass showing his Royal Coats of Arms can still be seen here. The church underwent extensive reconstruction in the mid-19th century.