Southwell Minster, south view
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Southwell is a town with ancient roots. Wells nearby brought the first inhabitants and the Romans had a large settlement here. In 956 King Eadwig granted land at Southwell to the Archbishop of York who built the first church here. Not much remains of the original Saxon structure apart from some of the tessellated floor and lintel or beam over a doorway in the north transept.
Work began on the current minster in 1108 and continued for several centuries. The interior contains many fine examples of Norman stone-craftsmanship. The chapterhouse is considered by many to be the finest in the country. The Minster was granted cathedral status in 1884.