Southwell Minster, south-west view
Artist: Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Work began on Southwell Minster in 1108 by Thomas, Archbishop of York and continued for several centuries. The interior contains many exquisite examples of Norman craftsmanship, particularly the detailed carvings on the doorways and columns surrounding the chapterhouse. The church here was a collegiate, as opposed to a monastic, establishment. This meant that the church was endowed for a body of canons or priests (not monks), but had no bishop's see. It was granted cathedral status in 1884.