St Mary's Chapel, Ely Cathedral
Artist: Buckler, John Chessell
Medium: Pencil on paper
Alan of Walsingham was elected to the post of sacristan of Ely Cathedral in 1321 with sole charge of the fabric of the cathedral. In that year he dug the first foundations of St Mary's Chapel, the largest Lady Chapel attached to any cathedral in Britain. It was completed in 1349.
The original chapel contained beautifully carved and decorated walls, fine stained-glass and many statues and effigies. During the Reformation in 1539 (when Henry VIII broke away from the church in Rome), much of this craftsmanship was either severely damaged or destroyed. For the next 400 years it was known as Holy Trinity Church. In 1938 it once again became a Lady Chapel.